HOUSTON PREMIUM OUTLETS PRESENTS THE SHOPPING BLOCK, A SIMON AND REFINERY29 COLLABORATION, ON OCTOBER 11
The Shopping Block, an Experiential Style Marketplace, Will Modernize Millennials’ Shopping Experience
Ashley Pearce/Hailey Kleiderer Mark Holcomb
Dancie Perugini Ware Public Relations Starworks Group
Ashley@dpwpr.com /email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Free and open to the public, The Shopping Block will offer consumer touch-points around fashion, discovery, and community. The event design, inspired by modernist artists such as Donald Judd and Dan Flavin, as well as the art and architecture of Marfa, Texas, will provide a variety of features that appeal to the millennial audience, including:
- Indie Boutiques + National Brands: Refinery29 and Simon will invite indie boutiques with local reach and relevance to participate in The Shopping Block. This will create an interplay between the native, in-market shopping experiences and the very best national retail brands, all within the mall landscape. Local participating vendors include:
- Height of Vintage is Houston’s first Vintage Mobile Shop, offering hand selected vintage fashion, accessories and more. www.heightofvintage.com
- Hatton Henry is a line of handmade bags and accessories, all items are made one at a time in at a workshop in the Houston Heights. As often as possible, raw materials are sourced from other small businesses within the USA. http://hattonhenry.myshopify.com
- Sun Child is an online shop celebrating a creative lifestyle with well-crafted, everyday objects. Based in Texas, they offer a mix of items that add warmth and meaning to the simple things in our everyday lives. www.shopsunchild.com
- Vida Antigua Vintage, "Vintage Life", grew from the passion and love of fashion. The shop aims to bring back the original styles of the ages. With an eclectic array of items they carry everything from 1940s - early 1990s. www.facebook.com/VidaAntigua
- fLuxe Jewelry flirts with a balance between soft and edgy forms and is inspired by many styles, including art deco, Aztec pottery and modern graphic design. fLuxe Jewelry is a line made from copper sheet metal and patina chemicals. Soft, playful colors compliment the sharp, geometric edges. The jewelry is hand crafted by Kristen Kramlich. www.fluxejewelry.com
- Sal Miel is a unisex jewelry line of mixed metals and textures utilized to create a raw and contrasting aesthetic. Sal Miel caters to both contemporary and traditional lifestyles. Each piece is meticulously handcrafted, and is therefore unique. www.salmiel.com
- Busy-Being + Solid Gold offers art that was previously not available in the Austin market. In the Fall of 2012, Busy-Being launched its community workshop program, offering courses led by local and visiting artists to the local community. www.busy-being.com
- Settlement Goods is a boutique located in Houston, TX specializing in selling emerging and independent designers manufacturing in the United States. www.settlementgoods.com
- Stylist Concierge: The Shopping Block attendees will receive curated style guides that highlight fall’s biggest trends, and where to shop them at Simon retailers.
- Guest Hosts: At each event, city insiders—chosen from local tastemakers in style, fashion and lifestyle industries—will act as hosts. Siblings Hanna Anderson, Sophia Anderson and Joshua Anderson have been selected to host The Shopping Block at Houston Premium Outlets.
- Sweepstakes: Shoppers can enter to win a Simon shopping spree in the form of Simon Giftcards valued at $1,500. A “virtual closet” made up of the hottest items from Simon retailers and curated by Refinery29 editors will be on display during The Shopping Block event to serve as inspiration for what the winner could buy.
- Beauty Bars: Makeup artists will be on-hand at pop-up beauty bars to give shoppers mini makeovers, and share the latest beauty tips from the experts at Refinery29.
- DIY Station: The Shopping Block guests will have an opportunity to personalize tote bags, taking inspiration from two fall 2014 runway trends – Sporty and Embellished. Each trend will have its own moodboard of inspiration pictures posted with a brief description and example of that tote. Guests will be given materials to create their own version of the tote. Brand Ambassadors will be on hand to help guests and explain the activation.
“The Shopping Block at Houston Premium Outlets is a totally new experience targeted specifically to millennials,” said Heidi MacMillan, director of marketing and business development. “The event mixes local, independent boutiques and brands with established fashion purveyors, creating a new fashion hybrid that celebrates the power of personal style.”
“Refinery29 has always been rooted in shopping and discovery, and is a champion of independent thinking and true personal style,” said Piera Gelardi, Creative Director, Refinery29. “Refinery29’s audience of millennial women turns to us as a trusted digital source of inspiration and they visit Simon shopping centers for a tangible, tactile experience. The Shopping Block is a perfect marriage of both worlds.”
The Shopping Block experience will be enhanced by editorial posts on Refinery29, including a “Found at the Mall” photo series showcasing the street style sensibility of shoppers who visit The Shopping Block. The events will be supported through co-branded banners on Refinery29 and promotions on Refinery29 and Simon social channels, Simon’s style blog at stylesetter.simon.com and at simon.com/shoppingblock.
Additionally, attendees are encouraged to share their Shopping Block experiences and discoveries using the hashtags #TheShoppingBlock and #FoundAtSimon. Anyone who posts their style on Instagram or Twitter using #FoundAtSimon #Contest will be entered to win a $500 gift card from Simon. Refinery29 editors will select the best Shopping Block inspired entry in October.
Visit www.simon.com/shoppingblock, www.twitter.com/HOUPremOutlets or
www.facebook.com/houstonpremiumoutlets for the latest event updates.
Simon is a global leader in retail real estate ownership, management, and development, and a S&P100 company (Simon Property Group, NYSE:SPG). Our industry-leading retail properties and investments across North America, Europe, and Asia provide shopping experiences for millions of consumers every day and generate billions in annual retail sales. For more information, visit simon.com.
Refinery29 is the largest independent style website in the United States and the fastest growing media company on the 2013 Inc. 500 list. Through its 24/7 original editorial content, global and local newsletters, and engaged social community, Refinery29 inspires millennial women to live a more mindful, artful and enlightened life. Refinery29 is based in New York, NY and has raised $30.4 million in funding from Stripes Group, FLOODGATE, First Round, Hearst Corporate, Lerer Ventures, Eastern Capital, and more.